17-Step House Painting Process
Many times homeowners have questions about the process of painting their house. Below is a detailed preparation and painting procedure for a typical home. After 25 years of experience and after painting thousands of homes, we believe our process will insure that your home will be painted on time, for the price quoted and your expectations will be met. As the homeowner, you will be responsible for the underlined steps.
- Homeowner selects all colors before work begins. Samples can be applied if requested. Primer coat will be tinted to approximate color of finish coat color. This will allow homeowner a chance to see the color on the whole house.
- Homeowner to close all windows and storm windows. If you are unable to do this due to physical or other reasons we will make arrangements with you to get this step done. We will tape or cover the exterior of all windows with plastic before we begin the sanding process.
- Hand scrape and power sand exterior of home using our HEPA vacuum system.
- Power wash complete exterior of home to remove all loose debris, any mold and mildew.
- Caulk and putty holes, cracks, voids, etc, using only premium grade materials.
- Make any minor carpentry repairs like nailing in loose shingles or moldings. These minor repairs are included in the contract price.
- Evaluate exterior and report to homeowner any rotted or broken wood that needs replacing. If required, we will make necessary repairs. This would be at a time and material rate or a firm price as agreed upon by homeowner.
- Apply Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin Moore Primer/Sealer to entire home including all trim, shutters, soffets, etc.
- At this point of the process a payment of 50% of the contract price is due to Star Painting.
- Re-evaluate surface condition of home and, if necessary, sand, caulk and putty.
- Spot prime any re-sanded surfaces.
- Apply finish coat of Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin Moore exterior paint.
- Remove all storm windows so exterior of windows may be painted. Homeowner can do this or we can come into the home to remove. Any doors that need painting must be left open or ajar for approximately 4 hours to dry. This can be done on a Saturday if necessary.
- Apply finish coat to all trim work including shutters, windows, doors, soffets, etc.
- Give a final inspection of the home's surface condition and make any necessary final touch-ups.
- Consult with homeowner to insure satisfaction of "fit and finish".
- At this point final payment is due to Star Painting.